Everything You Need to Know
Semi-Permanent Makeup is an innovative and revolutionary artistic technique. Permanent makeup are treatments that replicate perfectly applied conventional makeup, most frequently on the brows, lash line, lips, and hairline. This is done by inserting cosmetic pigments into the dermis layer of the skin. Also known as Permanent Make-up, Microblading, Micro-Pigmentation, Brow Embroidery, and Cosmetic Tattooing.
For brows and lip, up to two years. For eyeliner, three to five years. Hair color, skin type, after-care, and lifestyle also affect longevity of the results. Occasional touch-ups are a way to refresh the results. Done correctly, the treatments do not change color and fade naturally away with time. For areas such as brows, this allows future flexibility with shape, as standards of beauty change.
We use effective numbing creams that are FDA approved. On a scale of 1 to 10 with “1” being no discomfort, clients often experience between a 2 and 3 with treatment. Other factors such as menstrual cycles also affect level of sensitivity.
All our pigments are cosmetic grade, meaning that they are sterilized and purified for cosmetic use. The ingredients used have been approved by the FDA for cosmetic use. Be wary of products that have not met safety standards, including those that contain “vegetable dyes” that are unstable and may change color after time. In addition, all our tools are single-use and discarded after the treatment. We are highly trained and experienced professionals, licensed by State of California.
Immediately following your procedure, the tattooed area will appear to be darker and bolder in color, more sharply defined or even have a more filled in appearance. This can last up to a week after the treatment while the initial healing process takes place. The treated area may feel a bit like sunburn afterwards but there should be minimal discomfort and minimal redness.
During the initial healing period, there may be scabbing, flaking or peeling of the skin. If that happens, do not pick, and allow the scab or dry skin to come off on its own. This is very important! If scabs come off prematurely, the pigment will come out with it!
The complete healing process takes about 4-6 weeks, at which time the true color of the tattoo is evident. During this process, your tattoo will soften and lighten. Be patient, even if you think too much color has been lost, as your skin is still regenerating and naturally exfoliating.
- Breastfeeding (treatment is possible, though anesthetic will not be possible)
- keloids or if you have tendency to keloid, birthmarks or moles.
- Serious diseases such as cancer, epilepsy, autoimmune disorders (doctor’s note is required)
- Circulatory disorders (doctor’s note is required)
- Any bleeding disorders (doctor’s note is required)
- You’re taking blood thinning medication
- Currently on Accutane or other strong retinoids (must wait until 6 months after treatment ends)
- If any skin diseases symptoms or irritation appears on the area.
- You’ve recently had Botox or Dysport treatment (must wait 2 months)v
- Eyelash Extensions (only if you are getting Lash enhancement or Eyeliner)
- You have a broken capillary in the eyebrows area
- If you have a sunburn.
- After waxing (must wait 3 days)
- After chemical peels (must wait two weeks)
What to Expect
Consultation and Eyebrow
- You arrive and fill out client forms. We apply numbing cream if you wish (optional).
- You meet with your technician and discuss your preferences and goals.
- Before pictures are taken and your facial structure, eyebrow hair pattern, hair and skin tone are analyzed.
- Detailed measurements are taken and a proposed shape is drawn on.
- The integrity of your natural features is respected – A unique feature of the Hedman Method is that we try to stay as close to your natural shape as possible while making careful enhancements that make a big difference.
- You review the template design and any adjustments are made – We never start the actual treatment until you are completely satisfied with the design and customized color.
- Another before picture with the approved template design is taken.
- A topical anesthetic is reapplied to keep you numb throughout the treatment.
- Using top of the line specialized tools and pigments, your microblading or permanent makeup is customized specifically for your face, hair and skin tone.
- The disposable microblading tool is opened in front of you. It is used to carefully insert pigment into the top layers of the skin.
- The complete procedure from your arrival takes approximately 1.5-2 hours, but may take longer.
- The area initially looks darker than what it will be after healing but most clients feel completely comfortable going out in public/back to work right away (lip treatments cause more swelling).
- After pictures are taken, you are provided with aftercare instructions.
- A follow up appointment is recommended in 4-6 weeks.(Lips 6-8weeks)
- A follow up appointment is recommended within 4-6 weeks of the initial treatment.
- During the healing process, some areas may retain pigment better than others – this is completely normal.
- Occasionally clients want the color darkened or the shape adjusted slightly after the initial treatment has healed. This will be addressed at the follow up appointment.
- The treated area is thoroughly examined and we discuss any adjustments to be made.
- The touch up is performed and photos are taken.
- This appointment usually runs 45-60 minutes.
Eliana Sofia Permanent Makeup
Before Treatment: -
Do not take Aspirin, Niacin, Vitamin E or Ibuprofen 24 hours before treatment. Do not take omega 3 (fish oil) 1 week before treatment. Do not tan or have intense sun exposure 3 days before treatment. No chemical peels, dermabrasion, laser or any other intense treatments 2 weeks before treatment! this includes: Retinoids, Vitamin C Serums, Glycolics.
The skin should be in good condition at the time of treatment. Avoid treatments causing the skin in the area to be sensitive, such as chemical peels etc.
Day of Treatment: -
Avoid drinks containing coffee, caffeine and alcohol as well as pain killers containing aspirin on the day of your treatment, prior to coming in.
Please arrive promptly at your scheduled appointment time. The first part of the appointment is reserved for filling out paperwork while waiting for the numbing cream to take effect.
After Care: -
Apply a small amount of the provided ointment every three hours while awake for the first week. Plan on washing the newly pigmented area the very next morning and evening and to continue doing so until you are completely peeled.
DO NOT remove any crust or scab formed. Removing crust/scab has a VERY high probability of removing pigmentation.
Avoid heavy sweating for the first 5 days after your treatment (light exercise is ok).
Avoid intentional facial tanning, swimming under water, sauna, steaming, facials or abrasive treatments for 2 weeks following treatment.
Avoid products containing retinols or acids on the treated area – these will affect the durability of the treatment.
Avoid coloring or bleaching eyebrow hair for a month after any treatment.
- ONLY new, individually packed and sterilized disposable needles and microblading pens are used.
- We observe the strictest standards of cleanliness and adhere to OSHA regulations.
- Certified in Blood-borne Pathogens and Infection Control.
- Use EPA registered, hospital level tuberculocidal disinfectants.
- Use proper personal protective equipment.
- Only use pigments specifically formulated for permanent makeup in accordance with the FDA’s Food and Cosmetic list of approved ingredients.
- Color and hair stroke refreshment maintenance is recommended every 6-15 months depending on skin type, life style and preference.
- The durability varies from person to person depending on a variety of factors: skin type, skin care regimen, sun exposure, and lifestyle.
- The pigmentation gradually fades over time, with hair strokes appearing more shaded/powdered and blurred. Tiny pigment particles may remain in the skin.
- Hair strokes may slightly change color as it fades, therefore we recommend coming in at least once a year for an annual touch up.
- Depending on your skin type and lifestyle you may feel a touch up is needed sooner. There is special pricing for touch ups sooner than a year and the touch up prices increase gradually with time.
Results vary and you may still need to use a pencil or powder makeup.
- The permanent makeup will appear approximately 30-50% darker before healed.
- In the week following the procedure the color intensifies as the area heals – this will NOT last.
- Once the skin has healed, in approximately two weeks, the color stabilizes, lighter than initial color. If you want to go darker we can do so at your follow up appointment – it is preferable to go gradually darker.
- Sometimes some color reappear a few weeks after the treatment, especially in darker skins.
- Healing varies from person to person, but the visible healing period is about 7-10 days. You should wait 4 weeks until you return for the touch up.
- Most clients feel comfortable going out in public immediately following treatment (lip shading enhancements can produce more notable swelling).
- However, avoid scheduling your appointment close to a big event (wedding etc.), or vacation when you will be exposed to a lot of sun and heat.